Re: cron and package upgrade

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 03:45:01PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-09-29 at 01:15 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 02:20:39AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > >
> > > During important upgrades such as locales, I avoid doing things
> > > like starting an xterm... Usually, already running applications
> >
> > You do system upgrades WITH X running? :(
> >
> > If there is a problem with the upgrade of X, you could end up with a
> > borked system, or one that is going to be a PITA to fix.
>
> If something should cause such an issue by an update while X is running,
> then I would restore from a backup and then do the backup with X not
> running.

(We're talking about an important upgrade. i.e 6.0 -> 7.0)
Its easier not to open the can of worms in the first place, unless of
course you like putting them back, as a learning experience.

Consider ... during the upgrade X freezes. You now have the nasty decision
to risk a reboot (so you can perform the restore.) If it does reboot,
you'd better hope the restore suceeds!

And to top it all off, you are now back at square one, where a reboot
into single user mode would have been a lot easier.

I also think that an important upgrade. i.e 6.0 -> 7.0) should be
planned and then executed with the posibility that something will go
wrong, ideally having tested the upgrade on a non descript machine
(preferrably a test machine, for this purpose.)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X