Re: Building computer

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:10:01 +0200
Catherine Gramze <rhiamom@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I am looking for recommendations on hardware, particularly
> motherboards, known to play nicely with Debian and boot consistently.

I hope I'm not late to the party, but here's my new setup (bought in
June) which runs Debian Sid without problems:

MoBo: Asus Z87-A iZ87, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Processor Koeler Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, Vengeance, LP
CPU: Intel Haswell Core i5 4570S 2.90GHz 6MB Box
DVD Writer: Samsung DVD Brander SH-224DB/BEBE 24x, SATA Bulk
HDD: 2x Western Digital Harddisk 3.5" 2TB, SATA300, WD20EURS

I am running the two HDD in RAID 1 as /home, while / is on an Intel
SSD SA2M080G2GC which I have recycled.
I had trouble at the beginning because I wanted to use an OCZ SSD with
Sandforce chipset, which was just flat out refused by the motherboard.
I swapped the OCZ with the Intel from my laptop and never looked back.

The CPU runs idle at 28C and the PC is completely silent.

I hope this helps.

--
What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do.