Re: Re: Re: Re: Building computer

On 09/28/2013 04:04 AM, David L. Craig wrote:
On 13Sep27:2054+0530, Balamurugan wrote:
On 09/27/2013 04:08 PM, David L. Craig wrote:
Your fact is not.  I installed Debian Sid on a G500 a few
months ago and it dual-boots with Win8.  The trick is to
use the smaller alternative power button to the right of
the large power button, which ignores Legacy.  Perhaps
other Lenovo laptops are not so equipped but the G500 is.
Hi David,

     Till last month, I have installed close to 10 installations of
GNU/Linux OS as dual boot with Windows OS(XP and Windows 7). This
particular Lenova Laptop which had Windows 8 installed in UEFI mode
had issues in installing Ubuntu. When I try to insert the Ubuntu
(12.04 LTS) in USB boot stick, it is not even recognizing the OS.
The machine detects Ubuntu only when I turned off UEFI to Legacy
mode.
In the same time, I purchased my own laptop (Dell vostro 2420) which
was pre-installed with Ubuntu. When I checked that, it was turned to
Legacy boot by default. Also as per the technical journals I read,
GNU/Linux don't have their own UEFI authorizing keys. Can you please
correct me with some more details, If I am wrong.
I am at a disadvantage because I relinquished the laptop about
a month ago to be returned to Lenovo for warranty repair and
the memory is somewhat dim.  The BIOS was configured for Legacy
boot.  I enabled USB booting in the BIOS as needed and kept it
normally unenabled.  I installed Linux Mint XFCE into a hard
drive partition.  I discovered the main power button will always
boot up Win8 in UEFI mode but the smaller power buttona, designed
for the Lenovo One-Key recovery facility, brings up a boot menu
that includes the hard drive partitions and USB drives if such are
configured as bootable.  I hope this is helpful.
Hi David,

What you have said is correct. I also followed the same method you followed. The problem here is, we need to change the bios setting every time to toggle between Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Ubuntu starts in Legacy and Windows 8 starts in UEFI boot mode. I was thinking whether there is any procedure to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 8 in the same UEFI boot mode itself but unfortunately I haven't figured it out. Thank you for your details :-)