Re: DEVTMPFS, DEVTMPFS_MOUNT, custom no initrd kernel, udev 175-7.2 and 204-4

Am 27.09.2013 04:40, schrieb Tom H:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Regid Ichira <regid23@nt1.in> wrote:
>

> The following's what I've understood from #722604...
>

>>   In view of http://bugs.debian.org/722580 and
>> http://bugs.debian.org/722604:
>>
>>   A machine with:
>>     - a custom, non initrd, linux image
>>     - udev 175-7.2
>>     - no DEVTMPFS in the kernel configuration
>> is able to boot.
>

>> 1. Will the machine boot with
>>    CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
>>    # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT is not set
>>    ?  Again, custom, non initrd, linux image.  udev 175-7.2.
>
> Without an initramfs, you'll need CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y given the
> devtmpfs bug in the udev init script.

The udev init script has been fixed in 204-4, before the package
migrated to testing. So no, you don't need CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y. With
our without an initramfs.
All you need to make sure with a custom compiled kernel is that you have
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y (Debian provided kernels have that option set since
squeeze).
And please don't manually edit the udev sysv init script. Things like
that will bite you in the long run as you won't get updates anymore
automatically in the future, as dpkg prefers the user-modified version
by default.

I thought the udev changelog 204-4 is pretty clear about the
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y requirement so it's not all clear where the confusion
is coming from.

As CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y has been set since squeeze, it's obvious, that udev
175 works fine with that option.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?