Re: should an end user stick to a kernel with an initrd?

  I deliberately changed the subject of this message because I hope
people will also pay attention to my previous message in the thread.
  At http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/09/msg01150.html, which,
I hope, this message will be a follow-up to, Stephen Powell wrote
that, in general, initrd are desirable.  He gave a few example where,
he believes, one can not get without it.  I am no expert.  I do
believe that, other then corner cases, most, if not all, the examples
are wrong.  They can be done without an initrd.  I think the basic
reason is that one can have udev rules that will map specific devices
to specific names.
  Now, considering that an initrd requires a lot more software, I
think that an initrd should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.