Re: Long delays caused by rpcinfo

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions.  The combination of checking /etc/network/interfaces and verifying that rpcbind was listening on 127.0.0.1 led me in the right direction, and boy do I feel silly...

Somehow, my interfaces file was missing the loopback entry, so the loopback interface showed in the "ifconfig" output but it wasn't actually up.  I added these lines:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Then, after "ifup lo", everything just worked.

I think I wrote the interfaces file from scratch and copied it over the original, and of course, I didn't include the loopback interface.  *Sigh*.

Thanks again!

    - Dave

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> David Parker wrote:
>>
>> I have confirmed that rpc.statd is running, which I believe is the port
>> mapper in newer distributions.
>
> AFAIK rpc.statd is not a portmapper replacement.  The two portmapper
> equivalents that I am aware of are:
>
>   portmap - RPC port mapper
>   rpcbind - converts RPC program numbers into universal addresses
>
> The 'portmap' package is the older one.  I think in newer releases it
> has been replaced with 'rpcbind'.  I don't know what is different
> between them.

rpcbind uses ti-rpc rather than sunrpc and can handle nfsv4 and ipv6.