Re: ZFS, longterm archive of data and Debian

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:08:14AM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> It's not clear to me what problem you are trying to solve and why ZFS would be
> a good solution for it. The elephant in the room, with regards your use case,
> is backups, IMHO. That said:

Long term integrity of the data, i.e., avoiding bit rot/silent data
corruption. Regular backups offer no such protection.

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07:57PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > With one user reading one FLAC file at a time from a machine running ZFS
> > does one need a modern CPU and gobs of RAM? I understand ECC RAM and a 64 bit
> > OS is recommended.
>
> Omitting ZFS, absolutely not. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't do this
> with ZFS too, even on something like a Raspberry Pi. I used to use mt-daapd to
> real- time decode MP3s, AACs and FLACs to 16/44.1 WAV and stream over 801.11g
> to various devices, using an old ARM-powered NAS device (thecus n2100) which
> is very underpowered by today's standards.

Omitting ZFS, I have no issues serving FLAC files the same with a Pentium
III. But I'm reading that ZFS needs *some* muscle for checksums and other
such operations.

The questions I'd like answered is whether I can get away with using older
hardware for ZFS and a single user reading data whilst still using it as my desktop.

Or, older hardware would be fine for a dedicated NAS box running ZFS.

If I do use my desktop as a ZFS/NAS server, does the root file system have
to be ZFS as well?