Re: Volunteer in need of a mentor

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> I'm newbie in the world of packaging, documenting, and so on... so
> some patient would be welcome. Also, and that is important to me, I
> would like very much to discuss pieces of my C code with a mentor who
> 'speaks' this language, to get tips on deprecated things, standards,
> directories of installation, and alike.

You would probably get more help if you also ask on the debian-mentor
mailinglist. Make sure you read as much as you can before asking for
assistance, such as the Debian Policy [1] and the New Maintainers'
Guide [2]. It would also help if you download the Debian source for a
simple package that you can study. This way you can familiarize
yourself with what it takes for a package to get into Debian, such as
the format of debian/control, debian/rules, changelog, etc.

If this is already too much information for you, I would suggest that
you don't try to create a new package just yet. Instead, download an
existing package, modify it, and try to compile it. Perhaps look
through the Debian bug tracker [3] and try to submit some patches
(e.g. documentation, translations) before taking on full
responsibility as maintainer.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
[3] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/