Re: fsck on boot...revisited

On Vi, 26 iul 13, 13:51:39, Bob Proulx wrote:

> For the larger majority of users the current default setting of
> FSCKFIX=no is a problem because it will result in a system that won't
> boot without a human on the console to manually answer yes to the fsck
> questions.  On a desktop you are there and just do it.  On a server
> you need to get on the console.  Typically that requires a support
> request in the simple case if the machine is in a data center.  But
> for many of us it would mean a long drive into another city hosting
> the system in order to physically touch the hardware, attach a
> console, and answer yes.  For more of us the FSCKFIX=yes setting is a
> much better default.

For all practical purposes this applies also to systems installed for
users depending on your support (e.g. family members). Even if the
system is in your household Murphy will make sure you are not at home
when the problem occurs and the user doesn't know the root password.

/me going off to set this for both my Raspberry Pi's (of which one is
running headless).

Kind regards,
Andrei