Re: NOT QUITE: headphones still don't work.

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:40:05 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hi Hendrik,
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. September 2013, 00:32:49 schrieb Hendrik Boom:

>> > Yes, pressing 'M' on alsamixer did the trick.
>>
>> But sound turns off as soon as I plug the headphones in, and on again
>> when I unplug them.  I expected to be able to hear sound through the
>> headphones.
>
> Well unmute them as well?

That is the obvious thing to do.

But alsamixer doesn't seem to have a separate slider for the headphones.
Or else I just don't know how to find it.

And when I use amixer to give me a list of the available ccontrols, I get:

hendrik@notlookedfor:~$ amixer controls
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Switch'
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Volume'
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Switch'
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Volume'
hendrik@notlookedfor:~$

There's nothing here to suggest there's a separate control for the
headphones.

Yet something is detecting the headphones, because the speakers shut off
when I plug them in and trn on again when I unplug them.  And the
headphones themselves work fine on other devices, such as my ASUS TF101,
an Android tablet.

> I have this issue as well. Once I press the mute button on this ThinkPad
> T520 both are muted, but when I press it again, they are not unmuted, so
> I have to do this manually via alsamixer.

How *do* you do it?

-- hendrik