Re: Choosing among "Desktop Enviroments" and/or "Windows Managers"

Dan Ritter wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 01:57:54PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
2. Given that internet is effectively non-existent and
internal/external disk space is effectively unlimited, how can I
make as many as possible of the DE &/or WM on the distribution DVD
simply available to experiment with?

apt-get install [metapackage name] for each of them. There's no
restriction to only having one installed at a time, you know.

I hoped/suspected apt-get was the answer. But that why I phrased it
in an open ended manner.

An implied questions include:
    how do I switch between them while comparing?

You have a range of options.

You could start multiple X servers, and run one on each,
simultaneously.

You could switch between them via the per-login option in a
display manager (xdm, gdm, lightdm...)

You could edit your .xinitrc file to start the system that
you want, and then run startx from your machine's virtual
console.

    will thy potentially interfere with each other?

Only in the sense that only one can have control of your X
session at a time. Otherwise, they're very good about ignoring
config files that belong to other packages.

Thank you.