Re: Audio vanished with jessie

On 16/09/13 20:44, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:40:01 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 17:33:39 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
It's an ASUS 10000HE running  jessie.

Today sound wouldn't work, though it worked a few weeks ago.

I won't say nothing has changed; I have been doing regular upgrades
using aptitude.

I don't even know how to begin diagnosing the problem.  No sound,
neither in audacity nor in VLC.

Are there any error messages when you start these applications from the
command line in an X terminal? What do you get from running
speaker-test?

Neither paplay nor aplay give me any sound.

The audio device is *Enabled* in the BIOS.

For a start, please post the output of:

   lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}
   aplay -Ll

Well, lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}

just says:

grep: cat: No such file or directory

But with the proper newline inserted,

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:831a]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.10-2-686-pae.
  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                       HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 43
  0 snd_hda_intel
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

and finally,

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# aplay -Ll
default
     Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

-- hendrik

Hendrik

Can this be another instance of a muted Master switch? What do get for:

$ amixer info
$ amixer contents
$ amixer scontents

See the amixer man page for how to un-mute using CLI.
Or try alsamixer, pressing "M" toggles muting.

--
Klaus