Re: Audio vanished with jessie

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:40:01 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 17:33:39 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> It's an ASUS 10000HE running  jessie.
>>
>> Today sound wouldn't work, though it worked a few weeks ago.
>>
>> I won't say nothing has changed; I have been doing regular upgrades
>> using aptitude.
>>
>> I don't even know how to begin diagnosing the problem.  No sound,
>> neither in audacity nor in VLC.
>
> Are there any error messages when you start these applications from the
> command line in an X terminal? What do you get from running
> speaker-test?
>
>> Neither paplay nor aplay give me any sound.
>>
>> The audio device is *Enabled* in the BIOS.
>
> For a start, please post the output of:
>
>   lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}
>   aplay -Ll

Well, lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}

just says:

grep: cat: No such file or directory

But with the proper newline inserted,

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# lspci -knn | grep -A2 -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:831a]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,modules}Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.10-2-686-pae.
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf7eb8000 irq 43
 0 snd_hda_intel
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

and finally,

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# aplay -Ll
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#

-- hendrik