Re: nm eth0 connection

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 08:15:35AM -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> # The loopback network interface
>>> auto lo
>>> iface lo inet loopback
>>>
>>> # The primary network interface
>>> allow-hotplug eth0
>>> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>>
>>> When I first loaded wheezy the last line was uncommented and eth0
>>> wouldn't connect. After I commented it out eth0 fired right up and was
>>> perfectly stable until the other day. As a test I tried commenting the
>>> other line referring to eth0 with no luck.
>>
>> NM will not manage a NIC with "iface ..." in "/etc/network/interfaces"
>> if you don't have the following two settings in
>> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf":
>>
>> "plugins=ifupdown" in the "[main]" section
>> and
>> "managed=true" in the "[ifupdown]" section
>
> holtzm@localhost:~$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>
> no-auto-default=00:21:CC:B6:06:8F,
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
>
> To my knowledge nm has always worked with
> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf as shown above unless something
> changed managed=true to managed=false. Tried changing to managed=true
> and, for the hell of it, rebooted. Still no joy. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.

The difference between "managed=false" and "managed=true" is that with
"managed=false", a NIC defined in "/etc/network/interfaces" is managed
by ifupdown and with "managed=true" NIC defined in
"/etc/network/interfaces" is managed by NM (or more accurately NM's
ifupdown plugin).

According to your other email, eth0 is up and managed by NM...