Re: Printer brand recommendations

On 09/09/2013 06:16 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> On 09/09/13 14:42, ken wrote:
>> I've used Epson with success, but won't another one. The cost of the
>> cartridges is so high, it's like I'm buying the printer over and over
>> again every year.
>
> HP cartridges are also very expensive -- $100+.  So:
>
> 1.  I bought a black-and-white printer (1 cartridge), rather than color
> (4 cartridges).
>
> 2.  I buy high capacity generic cartridges (~$30).
>

> HTH,
>
> David

Another thread that's been running on one of the lists, where someone
in Switzerland was looking for a printer recommendation, pointed out
that HP printers are no longer the Sherman tanks they used to be, and
that they may no longer be built to last; also that HP does not support
any product after they stopped making it for five years. Not at all--
you may not even find a manual. (OTOH, I can still get replacement toner
units for a 12 year old LaserJet 2200dn, even tho I can't get any info
from HP about it.) I also have an Epson all-in-one, a WP-4530.
It's quick, it prints, copies, faxes, scans, and has usb, Ethernet and
wireless interfaces. (And a phone connection for fax.) Does duplex, of
course. I do a fair amount of printing, and I don't need new cartridges
very often. It uses four cartridges, CMYK, so if you mostly print black,
that will be the only one you need to replace. The color is very good,
both from the net and scanned in. For B&W images, it's about on a par
with the LaserJet. And Epson has Linux drivers on their website for all
their printers and scanners, in both deb and rpm formats. Someone on the
other list found the WP-4530 for $189 on Amazon.
I have no financial or other interest in Epson.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley