Re: Jessie/sid 64: ia32-libs "conflicts" with libjack-jackd2

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:19:03AM +0200, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I need ia32-libs in order to enable 3D features of the fglrx driver in my
> 64bit box. Until a few days ago I had it installed ok. Then, after some
> aptitude update, I got broken packages because of ia32-libs: it depends on
> libjack-jackd2-0:i386, which in turn depends on libopus0:i386, which in turn
> is in conflict with libopus0 (i.e. not :i386, but the 64 bit version).

Usage of ia32-libs is now discouraged, in favour of enabling the i386
architecture (dpkg --add-architecture i386; apt-get update) and
installing the native 32-bit version of your application.

If libopus0:i386 conflicts with libopus0:amd64, then I THINK that means
that that library isn't multiarch-cabable. For many libraries, it's
possible to install several architectures at the same time (into
/usr/lib/{triplet}) and the linker will use the appropriate one. Some
libraries haven't (or can't) be converted so it's currently only
possible to install one architecture's version at a time.

I don't see any bugs against libopus0, but bug #674467 is currently open
against the source package, requesting multiarch support. I would guess
that the solution is to wait until that bug is fixed.