Re: Identifying CPU

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> On 9/8/13, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > Now, if only people would notice Intel processors are actually identified
> > by
> > the signature (cpuid(1).EAX) *and* the platform id bits in MSR 17 (the "pf"
> > or processor flags)...
>
> I had spent quite sometime on the output generated by CPUID yesterday
> as well as today but was unable to glean the info. that you are
> telling me. Maybe, just maybe I'm just dumb enough not to get it.

I did mean "people" as in "people writing CPU identification programs"...

The fact is that the processor flags field of MSR #17 is a little known
detail which you will only know about if you look at the microcode update
system.  It isn't even cited in the "how to identify the processor" sections
of Intel manuals as far as I know.  And it is Intel-specific, AMD processors
work differently.

  Henrique Holschuh