Re: Installing and booting Debian from large hard drives in a RAID without GPT

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 02:29:55PM +0200, Robin Kipp wrote:
> Hi list,
> I just purchased an HP ProLiant Micro Server G2020T. As for the hard drives, I installed 4 3TB Western Digital HDs. So far so good, but volumes with a capacity greater than 2TB require a GPT partition table. Unfortunately, the server does not support UEFI, and thus can't boot from GPT partitions natively.
> So, when I ran the Debian installer, I used the following partitioning scheme on all drives since I wanted to combine them in a software RAID:
>
> 1MB BIOS Boot Partition (BBP) for GRUB
> 512MB dedicated /boot partition
> partition with all the remaining disk space.
>
> I then proceeded to setup software RAID:
> no RAID on the 1MB BIOS boot partition (not sure if this is correct)
> RAID1 for the 512MB /boot partition including all the HDs.
> RAID5 for the large partition that remained for file storage.
> I then set up the /boot partition (/dev/md0) to contain an EXT3 file system and also configured the mount point to be / boot.
> For the large partition, I setup LVM and created logical volumes for the root and SWAP partition. I also configured those partitions accordingly so the installer would know how to use them.
> Once I finished, the installation went through without any problems. After the system was installed, I used the 'Install the GRUB boot loader' option to install GRUB on all HDS (/dev/sda through /dev/sdd), which worked just fine.
> However, when I rebooted the system I got an error message saying the root file system could not be mounted. I suspected the LVM to cause issues, so I re-installed everything but this time without LVM. Unfortunately, the same issue persists… Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation and could suggest a fix? I have a feeling I may be missing something important, but just can't find the right path to take…

If you're getting an error saying root couldn't be mounted then I'm
assuming that:
 - BIOS has found GRUB
 - GRUB has found the kernel
 - the kernel has booted BUT
 - the kernel couldn't find the rootfs, so therefore couldn't start init

If that's the case, try adding "rootdelay=30" to your kernel command
line (the best way is to append it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in
/etc/default/grub and re-run update-grub", but you can temporarily add
it at grub's command line editor).

"rootdelay" should cause the kernel to wait a few moments for all drives
to become ready, the raid to assemble and so on, before it tries to
mount rootfs.

I have had problems with the initrd not having the LVM modules loaded in it.  I had to make sure LVM was installed then run:

update-initramfs -u -k all

then :

update-grub

to get it to play nice with the system.  Other than that I would just make sure your /etc/fstab file is correct.

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator