Re: Re: tri-boot debian, debian-without-dm, and windows with newer debian using partitions from older debian?

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 03:55:51PM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> >>boot Debian into textmode
>
> How can I do this??
> And thanks, just wondering now how many ways I have got to accomplish
> what I want to do!

This was already mentioned. The answer is ctrl+alt+f1 through
ctrl+alt+f6 by default. Let me clarify. Unlike in some other
distributions (slackware comes to mind), there is no such thing as
booting into text mode, since gdm starts up in run levels 2-5, as do
your six text consoles by default. So, you actually have both the
graphical environment and text mode available to you at the same
time. The only way to have truly text mode would be either to disable
gdm and start x through running startx, or uninstall the graphical
desktop totally. Since both text and graphical modes are available to
you anyway, there is no reason to do that if you just want to work at
a text console. For the sake of completeness, I will mention run level
1 which is text mode in a single console. You don't want to stay in
run level one all the time for everyday use though. Kind of drawn out,
but it hopefully clears things up. In a nutshell, there's no such thing as text
mode in debian.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net