Re: How many packages in Sid

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 22:16 +0200, sp113438 wrote:
> How do I find out the number of packages currently in Sid?

This doesn't give any information about the quantity of software
available from upstream, since Debian does split the software from
upstream to several packages. some distros don't do this, so a distro
might provide less packages, but could provide more software.

However, IIUC

http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/sect.apt-cache.html

apt-get update
apt-cache pkgnames > file.txt
cat -n file.txt

I'm not sure if the packages are list by a new line for each package,
I'm not booted to Debian at the moment.