Re: Re(2): USB adapter for SD card.

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:09:13AM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> The system mentioned in the original message is at home.
> Here at work is another machine, with an unbranded similar
> adapter, running Wheezy.

My comments below pertain to the info you provided below. If you
believe the two machines are close enough in configuration to each
other, that's your call.

> root@dalton:/home/peter# lsusb | grep eader
> Bus 006 Device 007: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer

Ok, so the computer recognizes that the reader is connected.

> With both a CF card and the NexxTech SDHC in the adapter, plug
> the USB cable and this is available.
>
> fdisk -l shows the hdd but no mention of the SD or the CF flash devices.

Yeah. It looks like the card reader is recognized, and the fact that
the cards are in it, but it looks like the capacity of both cards is
too big for the reader to deal with. That's my guess anyway, maybe
someone else has a better answer. I'm not sure how backward compatible
CF cards are. Again, it's possible your card reader can't handle a
512M CF card as well.

> A 512 MB CF card in the multi-slot adapter is not accessible.
> If the same CF is in a mini-adapter which is then plugged into
> the USB socket on the front of the multi-slot adapter, then
> the CF is readable.  So the USB hub in multi-slot adapter
> works to this extent at least.

Yes, I'd expect the USB port on the reader to be useable. That seems
to suggest even more that this is a capacity issue rather than a
reader/driver issue.

> An old 256 MB Kingston USB stick shows up as a device in PCManFM.
> Attempting to mount it gives a dialogue with "Not Authorized".
> The same happens when this stick is plugged in any other USB socket
> on the machine.  fdisk -l reports it and I've had it working before.
> The failure of PCManFM appears to an independent problem.

I agree. All you probably need to do here is to set it up in fstab so
that a regular user can mount it, or become root in order to mount it
by hand.

> Yes; first systematic attempt at use.

Ok, so you didn't have this combination of cards/reader working before
on another machine/operating system.

> The leaflet with the AtechFlash adapter lists SD but not
> SDHC.  Firmware upgrade, as mentioned in
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDHC ,
> is not mentioned in the leaflet and probably not possible for such a
> low end adapter.  Seems advisable to purchase an inexpensive
> adapter for SDHC before wasting more time with obsolete hardware.

It seems that way. I wouldn't hold your breath as far as new firmware. I haven't
yet heard of a manufacturer issuing new firmware to support old card
readers. Why should they spend money writing new firmware for an old
product if they can spend money instead writing firmware for a new
product which they will then more than get back when customers buy the
new product?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net