Re: itunes under debian

On 09/03/2013 12:23 PM, Pascal Obry wrote:
Le 03/09/2013 19:00, Mike McGinn a écrit :
Has anyone in this group had any luck getting iTunes to work under Linux?
I understand it will not help but I couldn't resist. Free your son and
buy him a device offering standard MTP interface (like Android). Being
locked by iWhatever is beyond me :)

Generally agreed, though if you already have an iDevice it does seem wasteful to throw it out. Maybe jailbreak it and install something like Rockbox on there... would that allow the use of MTP?

MTP is a terrific protocol, but one thing I wish MTP-ready devices would still use is USB Mass Storage. It's not glamorous or fancy, or necessarily fast, but one thing it *is* is universal. Not all operating systems or programs understand MTP, but pretty much any OS with USB support understands USBMS.

Sadly, it seems like my Android phone doesn't do USBMS. But usually I send things over Bluetooth to it anyway. But when I hook this thing up to my work computer with Windows XP on it, no access, and I don't see an option for vanilla USBMS on the "USB HOOKED UP TO COMPUTER" menu on my phone.

I'm not saying USBMS in lieu of MTP, I'm saying as an option a user can choose so that non-MTP ready stuff can still access the phone.