Re: dpkg-query - package "un"packed, no version ???

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 9/2/13, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone know why I get this:
>>>
>>> $ dpkg-query --list vim-athena
>>> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>>> |
>>> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
>>> +++-===================-==============-==============-============================================
>>> un  vim-athena          <none>                        (no description available)
>>
>> What's the problem?
>>
>> u means that the action is unknown
>> and
>> n means that it's not installed
>
> What does "unknown action" mean?
>
> And why is the output of the command different that, eg:
> $ dpkg-query --list vim-dbg
> dpkg-query: no packages found matching vim-dbg
>
> There are fundamentally two different outputs, and therefore somewhere
> in my system there is a different status of some sort between these
> two packages. I am wanting to understand what that difference is, and
> how it happened - why there is a difference at all. For example, I
> don't know how to use pinning, so I have not done any apt pinning, but
> using pinning, from what I've "overheard" on the lists/net is that a
> status change would happen for a pinned package, somwhere in the
> apt/dpkg "system".
>
> How come I have "unknown action" status for package vim-athena?

"unknown action" means that dpkg doesn't know what action it's
supposed to take in respect of this package. The other options are
"install", "hold", "remove", "purge".

(I've just sent an email about the difference between the "-l" outputs
of vim-athena and chromium-browser-dbg.)

Are you talking about holding or pinning?

AFAIK pinning takes place in apt so dpkg and dpkg-query wouldn't know
about pinned packages.

For holding, you can set "hold" on vim-athena (for example) with "echo
vim-athena hold | dpkg --set-selections" and "-l" will output "h...".