Re: Setting up apt when have mixture of testing, sid and experimental

On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 08:59 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux SID.
>
> My sources.list is:
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main
> # deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
>
> # Bitlbee
> deb http://code.bitlbee.org/debian/devel/testing/amd64/ ./
>
> # GNUstep
> deb http://coyote.octets.fr/pub/gnustep/packages/wheezy/amd64/ ./
>
> Yesterday when I want to install the 'kazam' package, I get message in
> the aptitude interface:
>
> liborc-0.4-dev depends on liborc-0.4-0 (= 1:0.4.17-2)
>
> and this is a broken package now.
>
> I get an advice from the kazam's package maintainer Andrew
> Starr-Bochicchio:
> <quote>
> You seem to have a mix of packages from both unstable and testing
> installed. liborc, which is an indirect dependency of kazam, currently
> has different versions in unstable and testing. Starting from a fresh
> unstable chroot, I can install kazam with no problems.
> </quote>
>
> Now, how can I set up my apt system to avoid such a conflict?

"When using apt-pinning, you must ensure compatibility of packages by
yourself since Debian does not guarantee it." -
https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences#Pinning

So the answer is that you can avoid such a conflict by knowing what
you're doing.

If there's a reason that you do such a mix, than please explain it, so
we might be able to help you, to do it by another way. If you're only
reason should be

On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 08:39 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Why not?

then take an educated guess.