how to run xterm with nested bash shells, or screen nested inside bash

>From an existing plain xterm, I want this command:
uxterm -e /bin/bash -c /usr/bin/screen

or eg:
uxterm -e /bin/bash -c /bin/sh

To result in a nested shell. Basically I want my xterms to open by
default with a screen session (which works fine), but I want to be
able to log out of screen with CTRL-D, and be left with plain bash in
my uxterm.

Is this possible?

(For those who might be caught unawares, if you start with an xterm
with nested screen session, and try to open an xterm with its own
screen, at least in my setup, the new xterm does not open, instead I
get a new screen "window"/"tab" in my current xterm. But this is by
the by - just in case someone gets bitten by this. I believe it's a
limitation in screen or tty, not sure.)

TIA
Zenaan