Re: Need to install from hard disk but manual is missing details.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 05:35:04PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> The manual page http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd
> says that I should download a couple of files depending on whether I
> want to do a netinstall or use a ISO image on an existing partition.
> I can use any but prefer the former.
>
> Where must I download these files from?. Seems like I found them at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/
> and http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/.
> Is this right?. Is there any official document where I can verify
> this?. Why is the manual so unspecific?.

I've had a look at the netboot link you give above, and it looks like
it has the initrd, and the kernel. If you have broadband, this should
work for you. If there is somewhere official where you can verify
this, I'm not aware of it. Perhaps the debian wiki
<http://wiki.debian.org> that's the first place I'd probably
check. The manual is unspecific, since you can get the kernel and
initrd you need from different sources. You are wanting to download
them from the web. I did something similar to what you're attempting,
and I got the kernel and initrd from the netinst iso. I used grub on
an existing system to boot the installer kernel and initrd, and did
the rest of the install from the netinst iso, and the web. Do note
though that I haven't attempted a netboot install like you are wanting
to. I don't know if the netboot kernel and initrd will be enough for
you, or if you'll need to get something more, like the netinst iso for
example. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will reply. If not, and if you're
feeling brave, just try to boot with the kernel and initrd at the link
you gave for netboot. If the installer needs more than what you have,
you should find that out before you get to the partitioning phase. Good
luck.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net