Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

David Guntner wrote:
Hello,

I'm running Wheezy.  I used to use lilo for my boot manager.  I liked
it.  Nice simple config file that I could understand. :-)

<snip>

So my question is, after all that, :-) is where exactly is that
information stored so that I can get rid of the extraneous extra
no-longer-bootable drive?  I know it doesn't hurt anything... well, as
long as I don't try to boot off of it. lol  But I don't like clutter in
the boot menu so I'd prefer to get rid of it if I can.

To get rid of the clutter and *NEVER* edit grub.cfg, I make 30_os-prober in /etc/grub.d non-executable.

And set GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true in /etc/default/grub.

Then I add a menuentry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and set /etc/default/grub GRUB_DEFAULT to the title of that menuentry.

Then I run update-grub. Now I am in control thru the entries in 40_custom, which I edit in acc. to my needs.

That said, I don't use grub-pc (i.e.Grub2) but Super Grub Disk (not SGD2!) on a USB stick, because it is simpler to use than either Lilo or grub-pc, namely, I *ONLY* have to change an entry on the stick for it to take effect, while with everybody else you have to make the change *AND* run something.

Yes, I realize I am in trouble with running grub on LVM and UEFI.

Hugo