Re: Identifying CPU

On Thursday 29 August 2013 07:28 PM, staticsafe wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 08:25:35AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'll be installing Debian 7.1 on two unrelated sets of machines. I
>> have no record of the cpu in any of the machines. Is there a utility
>> to identify the processors, particularly bus width. All machines
>> originally ran various 32 bit MS Windows incarnations.
>>
>> Three personal machines:
>> 1. A Lenovo desktop currently running WinXP Pro SP3
>> 2. An IBM/Lenovo T43 Thinkpad laptop running WinXP Pro SP3
>> 3. A Lenovo R61 Thinkpad laptop currently running various
>> configurations of Squeeze. There were stickers on it when I
>> purchased it saying "Intel Core2 Duo" and "Windows Vista Basic".
>> Windows was completely removed when I installed Squeeze.
>>

>> A collection of donated machines at church being used for a outreach
>> program for the neighborhood K-6 children. OS include Win98 and
>> later.
>>
>> For the time being all Debian installs will be 32 bit. In a year or
>> so, capable machines will be migrated to 64 bit. There are
>> non-technical constraints precluding immediate migration to 64 bit.
>>
>> Suggestions/comments?
>> TIA
>>

> cat /proc/cpuinfo and Google will do the job.

Hi Richard,

A few weeks ago we had an interesting thread discussing the performance
advantage of 64bit vs 32bit kernels and the outcome was that except for
server loads where a couple of % points make a difference, you may not
really need to go for 64bit.

So, unless there's a reason like huge amounts of RAM, you're better off
with the 32bit kernel.

2 cents,
Kailash