mouse wheel spurious events (too sensitive) with evdev

The wheel of my new mouse is very sensitive: when I click on it
(middle button), it also often generates a scroll event (button
4 or 5). This is also sometimes the case when I'm just touching
the wheel. How can I prevent these events from occurring?

For instance, the driver could start generating a button 4/5
event only when the wheel has been scrolled by a minimum amount
(or ignore the first button 4/5 event of a sequence).

Note: I want a solution at the system (driver) level, not at the
application level, because all applications are obviously affected.

I didn't find anything about that in the evdev(4) man page (the
idea is something like EmulateWheelInertia, but this one is for
wheel emulation).