udevadm 'trigger' vs 'control --reload-rules' (was ... Re: scanner claimed by usbfs)

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:11:32AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Perhaps you or someone else  could explain to me the difference between
> udevadm trigger
> and
> udevadm control --reload-rules
> and the circumstances under which each is appropriate?

Didn't know about 'udevadm control --reload-rules', which might be
better in some situations.

I've presently got a problem where 'eject -T'
stops working after formatting a DVD/RW. A 'udevadm trigger' gets it
working again. (From the messages etc. my initial guess is something to
do with arrangement of the symlinks, e.g. /dev/sdb being the device,
'eject -T' expects /dev/cdrom 'dvdrw-tools expects /dev/dvdrw)

'udevadm trigger' fixes it \o/ , but seems to mess with usb mounting :(
although it's just band aid 'udevadm control --reload-rules' might be
the one for (re)adjusting the device symlinks and shouldn't mess with
"mtab behaviour"

oppressing." --- Malcolm X