Re: Wireless works, wired doesn't [Debian 6.0.7]

On 8/26/13, Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
> Upon starting my PC, wireless networking was found to be working, but not
> the wired one.
> /var/log/daemon.log says DHCPv4 request timed out. Canceled DHCP
> transaction.
>
> What could be wrong here?

Sounds like DHCP server is not running.

What are the wired network details? As in, what's the network address
and netmask? You can temporarily static configure your wired network,
to test a ping to the DHCP server (assuming you know its address).

# Eg. if you network is 192.168.5.0/24, try:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.5.153/24
# and if your DHCP server is normally on 192.168.5.1, then:
ping 192.168.5.1

# Once finished testing:
ifconfig eth0 down

# To manually test dhclient on the command line:
killall dhclient; dhclient -d eth0

Some configurations of dhclient seem to rise from the dead like
zombies. Might have to work around that for manual testing.

Good luck :)