Laptop suspends against my will

Hello:

I have a laptop running xfce4. I have set the power manager to lock
the screen when the lid is closed. (The laptop never goes anywhere, it
just sits on a desk, and I like to be able to ssh into it even when
it's closed.) That setting hasn't changed, but recently something is
suspending the laptop anyway when I close the lid.

The relevant acpid script (/usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs)
_appears_ to check for the presence of xfce4-power-manager, so my
first suspect (acpid) may be innocent. Any other thoughts on where to
look?

Thanks
Patrick