Re: unable to get /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces configured properly in wheezy

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> And for the new way:
>>
>>   auto eth0
>>   allow-hotplug eth0
>>   iface eth0 inet static
>>       address 192.168.1.42
>>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>>       gateway 192.168.1.1
>>
>>   iface eth0 inet static
>>       address 192.168.1.43
>>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>>   iface eth0 inet static
>>       address 192.168.1.44
>>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I thought I would say that while researching my response I fired up a
> VM running Wheezy 7 and tried the above.  It worked perfectly fine for
> me.  So definitely the version in Stable Wheezy 7 handles this above
> case fine.

I'd go easy on the "definitely".  That configuration appeared to work
fine on my wheezy box for both /etc/init.d/networking reload and
restart.  It even worked partially when it was rebooted; viz. port 53
and even port 80 (though extremely sluggishly).  But sshd over port 22
did not.  It was as if sshd had not come up, but that couldn't be
since when I got in by KVM over IP, simply restarting networking
(using old style interfaces) solved the problem.  Unfortunately, I'm
not in the position to try to replicate the problem.  But a word of
caution to anyone else who might come across this may be in order.

Mark