Re: unable to get /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces configured properly in wheezy

Bob Proulx wrote:
> And for the new way:
>
>   auto eth0
>   allow-hotplug eth0
>   iface eth0 inet static
>       address 192.168.1.42
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>       gateway 192.168.1.1
>
>   iface eth0 inet static
>       address 192.168.1.43
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>
>   iface eth0 inet static
>       address 192.168.1.44
>       netmask 255.255.255.0

I thought I would say that while researching my response I fired up a
VM running Wheezy 7 and tried the above.  It worked perfectly fine for
me.  So definitely the version in Stable Wheezy 7 handles this above
case fine.

However ifconfig does not know about the secondary specification.
Because it isn't given a label.  "ip addr show" will display it but it
will be invisible to "ifconfig".  That is fine if you have
transitioned to using the newer "ip" command always.

I still prefer to give them explicit labels using the up/down
commands.  It is fine either way.  But then it still interacts okay
with ifconfig.  A matter of preference.

Bob