Re: deb-multimedia repository

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:04:01 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> My complaint is with Debian's politics: if it's not FOSS, you can't
> have it.

That's just wrong.  Why on Earth would there be a Non-Free repository
otherwise?  I have plenty of non-free software on my Debian Sid.

See here:
<http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages>
...where it says:
" All packages that are included in the official Debian distribution
are free according to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. This assures
free use and redistribution of the packages and their complete source
code. The official Debian distribution is what is contained in the main
section of the Debian archive.

As a service to our users, we also provide packages in separate
sections that cannot be included in the main distribution due to either
a restrictive license or legal issues. They include:

Contrib
    Packages in this area are freely licensed by the copyright holder
    but depend on other software that is not free.

Non-Free
    Packages in this area have some onerous license condition
    restricting use or redistribution of the software."

Add the correct repo and Bob's your uncle.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a complete lack
of information upon which to base a considered