Re: Goran Gligoric RPM

Ein Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:51:21 -0400, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> schrieb:
On 08/22/2013 06:50 PM, Goran Gligoric wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>  > I have problem to download RPM Red hat program Manager I am using debian
> 7 32bit to install fkash player and java I have so problem
> to find and install I try to use your help but is totaly usless also to
> use tar.gz file is like imposible mision I am still like debian I very new
> in linux I am try in ubuntu is no problem but I want to stay in debian
> if can help me to instal rpm and tar.gz file formats in debian I try
> very hard
> I am reaky need help also i poot coomand on terminal apt-get flash
> player-nonefree is notworking is so dificult, could you please > help me thanks > > Kind Regards,
>  > Goran Gligoric

As a new-to-Linux person, you are looking to do what most folks who have been using Linux for years would not attempt. I have been around
Linux for a number of years, and I have on occasion tried the "cross-
install" routine, and had no luck with it. I won't tell you it can't be done,
but I would strongly recommend you to find a distro that has the
programs you want to use, or find a program in Debian that will do *almost* what you want to do, and put up with it. However: a program called alien (I don't know if that is available on Debian,
or that's something else you have to go round the corner to
get) is supposed to make RPMs available to deb systems, and vice versa. Here's an URL that says it worked for him:
http://www.everyjoe.com/2005/11/02/technology/howto-install-an-rpm-package-on-a-debian-box/
(Found by Google.) What's likely to happen is that there will be dependencies (libraries, usually) that are not found on Debian. Then, if you're
really determined, you can go look for them and install them, perhaps
also with alien. You can see what a can of worms you are opening up!

BTW: The Linux version of FlashPlayer is not going to be updated by Adobe,
but some distros still seem to have it available--PCLinuxOs, I believe is one. I think most distros will have Java. Obviously RedHat has these
programs you are looking for--why not download a live DVD and try it out?

Press Alt + F2 and type

xterm

then enter, in this so called terminal continue with

su

enter, or if su shopuldn't work

sudo -i

continue with

apt-get update

apt-get install synaptic
synaptic

Synaptic is a program that does allow you to search for software and to install software. Debnian doesn't use RPM, but DEB packages. tar.gz files usually contain source code, there are different ways to build and install something from source, one way that often does work for DEB and RPM based distros is this way:

tar xzvf name_of_the_tar_gz.tar.gz
cd name_of_the_tar_gz
./configure
make
checkinstall
su
or if su shouldn't work
sudo -i

dpkg -i *.deb

but you need to take care to full the dependencies, so for a beginner this could be hard to do.