Re: wireless problem

On Mon 19 Aug 2013 at 16:10:25 -0700, Robert Holtzm wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 06:07:57PM -0700, Robert Holtzm wrote:
> > I have a wireless connection that disconnects sponaneously. NM claims
> > I'm connected but I'm not. Can't ping the router (operation not
> > permitted). Ethernet connection is no problem when wireless is down.
> > Tried installing wicd with no luck. Not only no luck but with wicd I
> > couldn't turn on the xciever. At one time wicd wouldn't play nice w/ NM.
> > IIRC this is no longer true. Can anyone confirm?
> >
> > I just purged wicd and NM fired up my wireless connection w/ no problem.
> > I'll see how long it lasts.
> >
> > FWIW I'm running Wheezy fully updated w/ fxce4 DE.
>
> Well, that didn't last long. Wireless ran fine until this AM when it
> died and won't restart. As before, ethernet is fine. I'm floundering
> here and could use a hand. Not sure what areas to research. Anyone have
> any ideas?

Knowing what the wireless device is ('lspci' or 'lsusb') is usually not
a bad idea.

Next is to decide what you are troubleshooting. Is it your NM setup
(which I have no idea about because I do not use the application) or do
you suspect something is amiss with the wireless connection?

For the later you could try:

1. Disable NM with

      update-rc.d network-manager disable

2. In /etc/network/interfaces have only the loopback interface plus

         iface eth0 inet dhcp
             wpa-ssid your_ssid
             wpa-psk your_passphrase

   Assuming eth0 is the wireless interface and you are using WPA.

3. Reboot and monitor the connection; /var/log/syslog might help with
   this.