Re: Problem with X or kdm

On 08/19/2013 01:25 PM, Ronald Púpala wrote:
Hi there. After upgrading to debian jessie happens to me, that instead of X me shining black screen,after switching back from console, and will help only restart kdm. Along with this there is some other problem. When I log into X s, below my username I unsubscribe and thus starts kdm login dialog, but if subsequently known son, or another user, and logs are on, a black screen, but it radiates as if kdm underneath was because when moving the mouse arrow cursor changes to a text cursor in locations where potentially could be fields for a user name and password. nothing in the logs. Only in kdm.log any mention of that dbus is not working. But apparently dbus running. I running on a Debian Jessie and notebook Acer Extensa with GC with Radeon chipset. Met you by chance someone with such behavior? On internet I found nothing. I deleted the other users .kde directories. Them where to log in to the system created a new, but no change. I don't know where is problem. Thank's for help.
Rony

I recently had some major KDE breakage; I finally fired up "aptitude" and did a search for "kde" ("n" for next instance; visually scan for a bold entry indicating an installed package, page down, "n", repeat), deleting anything that looked KDE-ish.

Then did an "aptitude update" followed by an "aptitude dist-upgrade", then did an "aptitude install task-kde-desktop", and now have a working KDE again, although it looks considerably different to what I had previously. (Oh, in the process, I added "unstable" to my apt sources; I already had "testing".)

I say all this to saythat I suspect there's some major KDE changes that don't always go well on an upgrade.

You can start a different Desktop Environment (DE) or Window Manager (WM) just to make sure X itself is working properly(and to give you a GUI, if you're more comfortable in that environment).

As always, your mileage may vary.

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com