Re: A strange new phenomena

On 8/18/13, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 03:18:22PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>
>> Yes. The only sliver was "upgrade to sid, ...
>
> Ouch! That's bad advice, the point of no return.

:)

It was just a "sliver" :/

And another sliver: I think once I got it going (with the random
restarts issue), I took to suspend/resume rather than restart for
awhile. I think I was already on sid, so by "upgrade" for me it was
simply "wait, find bug if possible, file bug otherwise, cross fingers,
upgrade again"...

>> or the latest xorg-driver
>
> Apparently it was working at some stage and it was an UPGRADE which
> CAUSED the OP's problem? So upgrading further without any knowledge of what
> is causing the problem can only exacerbate the problem.

ACKnowledge.

The OP ought to try to remember or discover what his 'upgrade' was.
Especially with 'testing' still being early days AIUI.

>> you can lay hands on".
>> The fact that it happens before startx is run, is perhaps due to some
>> of the graphics driver stack now being in the Linux kernel.
>
> Right, and do we know the video hardware, kernel, video driver, etc. ...

Dear OP, do you know the video hardware, kernel, video driver, etc.
... my sliver of memory from ~6 or more years ago is not in any way
definitive, of course.