Re: Formatted Disk

Ethan Rosenberg, PhD:

> I have a usb drive, with data on it, that I [stupidly!!] tried to
> name using fdisk.  Of course, it erased the data.  I have not used
> the drive since then.  I think there is a method to "unformat" a
> drive. What shall I do now?

Generally, it should be possible to access the filesystem if you restore
the previous partitioning scheme. I don't think putting a label on a
partition should have destroyed existing partitions, but anyway.

If you cannot restore the old partition layout for some reason, you can
install testdisk and use the program "photorec". It can restore almost
anything, unless you write to the disk. Caveat: photorec will not
restore the directory layout. You will have one directory with
everything in it.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.