Re: Formatted Disk

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 01:06:35AM -0400, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> Dear List -
>
> I have a usb drive, with data on it, that I [stupidly!!] tried to
> name using fdisk.  Of course, it erased the data.  I have not used
> the drive since then.  I think there is a method to "unformat" a
> drive. What shall I do now?

If you've only used fdisk, then you've not erased your data, you've just
"lost" it. Like taking the index out of a book.

First of all, back up the USB disk so that if anything goes wrong, you
don't make things worse

 $ dd if=/dev/sdX of=~/Usb-stick.img

Next up, install "testdisk", then run "testdisk USB-stick.img". The
program should be fairly self-explanatory; it will scan the disk looking
for things that look like partitions and rewrite the partition table
accordingly. As you've not got disk corruption and you've only deleted
the partitions, it *should* go painlessly. :)