Re: Quoting Style Re: Installing mysqldump

On 14/08/13 18:30, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
I still do not understand
and really wish to be helpful.

If you could actually edit my sample, it would be DEEPLY APPRECIATED.

TIA

Ethan

Ethan

There are several aspects to this, maybe it's worth going through them one by one (this list is probably not exhaustive):

(1)	Keeping emails in a thread together.
	Your MUA does this for you, as long as you use the reply
	function. Whereas what you do, using "Ctrl-E" (Edit-Message-
	as-New), doesn't produce the correct references.
(2)	Inserting a special character to indicate "this is a quote".
	Again, your email client (Icedove) does this for you, if you
	use the reply function. It then inserts a "> " at the beginning
	of each line of the quoted text, and other reader's email
	clients can then format it on screen properly.
(3)	Using plain text instead of HTML.
	This is probably what you call "unstyled" versus "styled". I
	seem to remember that the FAQ for this list requests to use
	plain text, though this doesn't seem to be adhered to very
	strictly. Anyway, if Icedove is set-up to default to HTML,
	then Shift-{Write, Reply, Reply to All, Reply to List}
	will produce plain text mails. [1]
(4)	Top versus bottom posting.
	It is the convention here to keep the quote above your new
	contribution. As described before, Icedove is easy to configure
	to do this.

One other feature in Icedove I find useful when dealing with this sort
of thing is to have multiple identities. In Account Settings, find the
button Manage Identities. Each identity can have for instance
different quoting styles. [2]

 [1] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e-mail_%28Thunderbird%29
 [2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Multiple_Identities

--