Re: sudo questions

On 8/14/2013 10:40 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
On 14.08.2013 17:36, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
I agree in principle that sudo is better then su.  The problem I have
with it is security; when you use sudo you type in your own password. So
if your password is compromised, the hacker can do anything the sudo
user can do - which may be very bad.
[snip]

One way around that is to not use the administrator's account for your
daily tasks.  Make a separate account without such privileges for daily
use and only use the other one when you actually need root privileges.

Regards,
/Lars

Lars,

That's a nice thought. However, about the only time I log onto these VPS's is to perform administrative tasks. I don't use them for daily tasks. And even if I did, I still have the problem of having an account with a single password to get root access.

I do, BTW, have different accounts for email, sftp, etc. - none of which can ssh into the server.

Jerry