Re: keyboard+mouse freeze on installation

Diogene Laerce wrote:
> I even tried to upgrade from 6.x.x which hasn't got this issue, but
> as soon as the 7.x.x is installed, the keyboard+mouse freeze. I
> tried also to install from 7.x.x firmware-non-free : it didn't do
> better.

Try booting the older Squeeze 2.6.32 kernel.  Does that work?  If so
then you are running into problems with the newer Linux kernel.

> My keyboard and mouse are Logitech.
>
> Nota : I have the same issue with the Ubuntu last release (13.x) so
> I guess it's a kernel issue but I have no idea of the parameter(s)
> to change to resolve this..
>
> It really would help if anybody has a clue on what is really going on.

I don't know but in recent Linux kernels there has been a big
reorganization and removal of features.  Unfortunately many of us were
using those features.  So when we install the new kernel it causes
kernel panics and other problems.  One set of problems has to do with
them moving firmware blobs out of the kernel.  In Debian these have
been moved into firmware-linux-nonfree.  If booting the older kernel
works then try installing firmware-linux-nonfree and see if that
helps.  Secondly there have been problems with the graphics
subsystem.  A lot of previously supported video cards lost support in
recent Linux kernels.

You say your keyboard is not working.  Is the system still up and
online and on the network?  Are you able to ping the machine from
another system?  Are you able to log into the machine with ssh from
another system?  If so then you might be able to use that path to
debug and fix this problem.  If not then the problem is deeper than
your keyboard.

Good luck!
Bob