Re: Thinkpad T61 Critical temperature reached (103 C), shutting down

On 13/08/13 10:02, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
After a lot of googling, I decided to tear down the laptop, expose the
cooling fan and give it a good vacuum job to get rid of any dust that
might have accumulated and was possibly interfering with the CPU
cooling.  I assembled all the pieces, rebooted and re-run the rsync
copy command which this time ran to completion without overheating.
You might want to try some canned air on the heatsync attached to the CPU fan, or making sure the laptop is near some aircon etc.

root@curiosity:~# echo "level disengaged" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
-bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
root@curiosity:~# echo "level 7" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
-bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
Did you first load the ibm acpi module with the fan_control argument ?
rmmod thinkpad_acpi
modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

I had the same issue with my thinkpad, and wrote this [1] to work around it, though in the end canned air was the proper solution.

[1] https://github.com/theothertom/thinkpad-temp_mon