Re: Installing mysqldump

if the database that you need to backup is not in your own PC, use
the -h parameter with mysqldump  and pass the host ip or fqdn of the
PC in which the database resides.
eg :
mysqldump -h 192.168.1.30  -u username_with_external_access -p db_name
> db_name.sql

if the database is in the same PC, then you still have problems as the
local mysql service is not running.
check logs (syslog , mysql log) to see why its not running and attend to that.