Re: Installing mysqldump

On Friday 09 August 2013 19:51:25 Bob Proulx wrote:
Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> I am trying to install  mysqldump.

Something is broken in your sources.list file.  Fix it first.

A month ago Ethan had both Squeeze DVDs and wheezy http's enabled simultaneously in his sources.list. So he may also need to fix his pinning.

Lisi

Then
run 'apt-get update'.  Then 'apt-get install -f' as suggested above.
Then install mysql-server.  Then you should be working.  This applies
to both your old Squeeze 6 as well as the current Wheezy 7.

I see by your many messages that you have had much trouble in this
area.  I think you have a system that is partially this and partially
that and partially something else.  So I don't really know where to
begin.  Start by posting your current sources.list file.  You need to
fix it first.

Are you trying to be Squeeze 6 with GNOME 2?  Are you trying to be
with Wheezy 7 with Mate?  What is your target goal?  If you don't know
where you are going then you might be late getting there.

Bob

=========================

Lisi -

Thanks.

Here is my sources file --

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1a _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
#Binary-1 20110322-15:11]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1a _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
#Binary-1 20110322-15:11]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1a _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
#Binary-2 20110322-15:11]/ squeeze contrib main

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/debian wheezy main <<<-
deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/debian wheezy main <<<-

The two noted above were commented out, update performed, commenting removed and mate installed.

The system now is Debian7.

I still do not have a desktop, just a command prompt.

OUCH!!!

Further, I tried to run mysql and receivew the followihngf message-
ERROR 2002 can't connect to local mysql server thru socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

TIA

Ethan