Re: post-install questions

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:49:36 -0400 (EDT), François Patte wrote:

> I have just finished my debian installation and I have a few questions:
>
> 1- For some reason the root account was not activated (I, maybe, missed
> some step); so I activated it following the docs, but there are two
> problems:
> a) root can login through lightdm and access a graphical session! How to
> disable this?

I don't use lightdm, so I don't know.  Someone else will have to answer
this question.

> b) root umask is set to 077, which is problematic if you don't pay
> attention to this setting.

That's strange.  That is not the Debian default.  The Debian default
for umask is 022.  (See /etc/login.defs.)  Perhaps pam_umask is overriding
this?  FTP servers have their own method for specifying the umask value.
For example, vsftpd sets the local_umask value in /etc/vsftpd.conf for
ftp client sessions.

> 2- Is there a gnome-network-manager like program under xfce?
>
> I try to have an installation with a minimum number of gnome packages.
> I tried to install  gnome-network-manager, but I got a full installation
> of gnome desktop which made a "coup d'état" and took power over xfce.  I
> purged my system from gnome packages.

I don't use xfce, so I don't know.

> 3- Is it possible to install a package without its dependencies  with
> apt-get?  I wanted to install auctex but apt-get wants to install a lot
> of TeX packages which I don't want.
>
> I know, auctex is made for TeX, but I install texlive directly from CTAN
> and don't want to have 2 TeX installations.

Maybe, but in general, you shouldn't.  There are three levels of "dependency".
A package can DEPEND on another package, RECOMMEND another package, or
SUGGEST another package.  By default, aptitude, and I think apt-get as well,
installs all packages that are dependencies or recommendations.  You can
suppress the installation of recommended packages with

   aptitude -R install <package_name>

or

   apt-get --no-install-recommends install <package_name>

This may help.  But if the extra packages are truly dependencies of the
package you want to install, it probably won't work without the dependent
packages, even if you can get it installed.

> 4- I installed emacs24, and it returns a warning when it is launched
> from an xfce terminal:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: gtk window parse geometry() called on a window with no
> visible children; the window should be set up before gtk window parse
> geometry() is called.
>
> What does this mean?

I don't use emacs and I know nothing about gtk.  I hope others can help
you with the questions I couldn't answer.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :