Re: Problems installing wheezy

On Sunday 11 August 2013 12:05 PM, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
Thanks a lot greg. Exactly what I wanted to hear.  So i have got a
backup of my home in an extern hard disk.  I will only copy documents
and other source files.

However the installation problem still holds.

On Aug 11, 2013 11:31 AM, "Gregory Nowak" <greg@gregn.net
<mailto:greg@gregn.net>> wrote:

    On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 04:35:09AM +0000, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
     > Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
     > I am facing lot of problems in installing wheezy.
     >
     > 1) I downloaded the dvd-1 image of amd-64 precisely
     > debian-7.1.0-amd64-DVD-1 for installing wheezy. I checked the
    md5sum of my
     > downloaded file and it was the same as of the original. So the
    image was
     > verified.
     >
     > Being a hybrid image, I just ran the following commands to make a
    bootable
     > usb stick
     >        cp debian-7.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso /dev/sdc/
     >        sync
     >
     > As expected the files were copied to the usb. But when I booted
    my machine,
     > it said isolinux missing or something, ie the bootable stick failed.
     >
     > I then used win32diskimager and it failed too.
     >
     > After that I used unetbootin which made the usb bootable and the
     > installation started too, but the installation failed saying the
    CD-ROM
     > does not seem to contain a valid "release" file.
     >
     > As a last resort trying to install through usb, I used universal usb
     > installer, which worked. I made all the partition, set all the
    passwords
     > and did other settings, but this installation failed too, this
    time on base
     > installation step saying that it could not download the following
    packages.
     >                               liblzma (and two more)
     > The only reason of mine downloading the dvd image of around 4 gb
    was to
     > avoid using internet as I don't have access to Internet at home.
     >
     > I don't know whats the problem, I have been at it since two days
    and still
     > unable to install debian. I will be getting a blank dvd and will
    try to
     > burn the image and install it (tomorrow as its 4 am here) Some
    guys at
     > #debian said that usb stick never works for installing debian .
     >
     > 2) I was an ubuntu user for the past 4 years and have decided to
    move on
     > (thanks to the illogical changes to their vision) and made up my
    mind to
     > install debian. As I was very new to installing linux 4 years
    back, I had
     > managed to create just one big partition and mounted it as /.
     > So this time before updating to debian, I moved my /home
    partition to an
     > altogether new partition and wanted to mount my /home to this new
    partition
     > while installing debian. Now as I was unable to install debian
    (see #1) I
     > installed mint, and mounted that new partition as /home. Now that
    /home
     > contained a .config folder which is giving many errors at startup
    on mint,
     > Will it happen in debian? Should I really backup my /home
    partition. While
     > on ubuntu I had compiled many software and libraries in my /home
    folder
     > itself. Will they all work again in debian (or mint) or do I need to
     > install them again? I had also backed up my /home to an external
    hardisk so
     > I can just copy paste real important stuff into my new home
    partition on
     > debian (or mint) later.
     >
     > (I was a newbie and didn't new that I should have moved those
    source files
     > to a partition like /usr/ or /opt before compiling them)
     >
     > Thats it, those are the two problems that I am facing as of yet.
    I do not
     > want to give up so easily, and I really want to be a part of this
     > community. Please help me.
     >
     > (if your have reached here and are still reading
     > Thanks (for not getting annoyed at such a big post)
     >
     > --
     > Regards,
     > Anubhav Yadav

    Hello Anubhav. I am new here myself, though a debian user since late
    2005. I can't help with your dvd/usb install issue. Hopefully someone
    else will be able to. As far as your home partition, I personally tend
    not to just take an old home directory, and copy it to home on the new
    machine. I call the old home directory old_home for example, and copy
    it under the new home directory. Then I go through old_home, and move
    from there whatever I want to keep to the new home directory,
    verifying that whatever I move isn't going to cause problems.

    As far as your custom software, you'll probably need to compile it
    again due to newer shared libraries on debian/mint. HTH.

    Greg

    --
    web site: http://www.gregn.net
    skype: gregn1