Re: Problems installing wheezy

Thanks a lot greg. Exactly what I wanted to hear.  So i have got a backup of my home in an extern hard disk.  I will only copy documents and other source files.

However the installation problem still holds.

On Aug 11, 2013 11:31 AM, "Gregory Nowak" <greg@gregn.net> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 04:35:09AM +0000, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
> I am facing lot of problems in installing wheezy.
>
> 1) I downloaded the dvd-1 image of amd-64 precisely
> debian-7.1.0-amd64-DVD-1 for installing wheezy. I checked the md5sum of my
> downloaded file and it was the same as of the original. So the image was
> verified.
>
> Being a hybrid image, I just ran the following commands to make a bootable
> usb stick
>        cp debian-7.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso /dev/sdc/
>        sync
>
> As expected the files were copied to the usb. But when I booted my machine,
> it said isolinux missing or something, ie the bootable stick failed.
>
> I then used win32diskimager and it failed too.
>
> After that I used unetbootin which made the usb bootable and the
> installation started too, but the installation failed saying the CD-ROM
> does not seem to contain a valid "release" file.
>
> As a last resort trying to install through usb, I used universal usb
> installer, which worked. I made all the partition, set all the passwords
> and did other settings, but this installation failed too, this time on base
> installation step saying that it could not download the following packages.
>                               liblzma (and two more)
> The only reason of mine downloading the dvd image of around 4 gb was to
> avoid using internet as I don't have access to Internet at home.
>
> I don't know whats the problem, I have been at it since two days and still
> unable to install debian. I will be getting a blank dvd and will try to
> burn the image and install it (tomorrow as its 4 am here) Some guys at
> #debian said that usb stick never works for installing debian .
>
> 2) I was an ubuntu user for the past 4 years and have decided to move on
> (thanks to the illogical changes to their vision) and made up my mind to
> install debian. As I was very new to installing linux 4 years back, I had
> managed to create just one big partition and mounted it as /.
> So this time before updating to debian, I moved my /home partition to an
> altogether new partition and wanted to mount my /home to this new partition
> while installing debian. Now as I was unable to install debian (see #1) I
> installed mint, and mounted that new partition as /home. Now that /home
> contained a .config folder which is giving many errors at startup on mint,
> Will it happen in debian? Should I really backup my /home partition. While
> on ubuntu I had compiled many software and libraries in my /home folder
> itself. Will they all work again in debian (or mint) or do I need to
> install them again? I had also backed up my /home to an external hardisk so
> I can just copy paste real important stuff into my new home partition on
> debian (or mint) later.
>
> (I was a newbie and didn't new that I should have moved those source files
> to a partition like /usr/ or /opt before compiling them)
>
> Thats it, those are the two problems that I am facing as of yet. I do not
> [...]

Hello Anubhav. I am new here myself, though a debian user since late
2005. I can't help with your dvd/usb install issue. Hopefully someone
else will be able to. As far as your home partition, I personally tend
not to just take an old home directory, and copy it to home on the new
machine. I call the old home directory old_home for example, and copy
it under the new home directory. Then I go through old_home, and move
from there whatever I want to keep to the new home directory,
verifying that whatever I move isn't going to cause problems.

As far as your custom software, you'll probably need to compile it
again due to newer shared libraries on debian/mint. HTH.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1